1 2 3 4

Pegasus by Robin McKinley

P e g a s u s
Author: Robin McKinley (BlogSite)
Release Date: 11/2/10 (Hardcover)
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Age Group: Anyone
Pages: 404
Source: Library (Local)
Overall Feelings: Painfully slow!
Summary: Goodreads
"...the Great Gate was opening and her pegasus was entering. Her pegasus...For a moment all the words of the ritual that Sylvi had memorised drained away, leaving her mind a blank. She saw a tall black shape pacing down the length of the Great Court beside the pegasus king, almost as tall as he, but still slightly too long for its body...She stepped forward to meet it...The young black pegasus reached the top of the steps and danced forward, lowering its head to look into her eyes, the wings half-opening toward her..." (57)

It's never easy for me to get into an incredibly slow novel. I need action and not at a slow pace. I like getting to know the author's world, but more as a background kind of thing, not so much where learning takes up much of the novel...

With Pegasus, the transition from plot point to point was agonizingly slow. I found myself ready to scream several times at this novel, "Hurry up already! Where's the action?! Why is this taking so long?!" It made me lose interest in it quickly. I just couldn't get into it, which was highly disappointing as I had hoped to really like this book.

I have to say though, that despite my immense dislike of the pace, I adored Ebon and Sylvi. Their relationship is so spectacular...I remember wishing several times that I had a pegasus to be that close to. From the moment they met, this pair managed to be comical and amusing, as well as genuine and affectionate, a combo I was charmed by. It was fascinating to watch their bond evolve, witnessing their odd and intriguing mind-speak. They had an understanding, a friendship that goes beyond what words I can think of.

Sylvi & Ebon:
"...I know a lot about you. You ask too many questions and you can't sit still, and you're always showing up in your father's office at the wrong time, so you know more than you should. I thought maybe it wouldn't be too bad to have a girl if she was another nosy fidget, like me. You're shorter than I was expecting though.
Sylvi felt her face grow hot. Her height was a tender subject, and here was this pegasus looming over her" (58)
As far as other characters in this novel...there were none that truly stood out. I felt like since the novel was so focused on Ebon and Sylvi, the growing threat of their relationship against the very people who strive to keep them apart, and the politics of the Alliance and the Pegasai-human nation, there wasn't enough spotlight on many of the other characters. I just barely scratched the surface with most of them, which is upsetting since I could see myself really liking several of the other characters.

The problems of the novel were legitimate, worrisome obstacles for sure.  There was this constant tension surrounding much of the plot, as Sylvi and Ebon's closeness is so odd and uncommon many people are frightened, as is the way of people. But, sadly, I didn't get too much relief from that, the tension I mentioned.

There were some aspects of the novel that incited wonder... the Pegasai land, the Caves where they reside, the wondrous art they create...so that was a bonus. I also liked that Sylvi and Ebon weren't just limited to strolling and walking but flying also. Parts featuring their expeditions in the sky rocked, especially after they flied together for the first time...that scenes was actually moving for me.
Sylvi & Ebon:
Ebon, who had also fallen, was already up and giving himself a vigorous shake when she staggered to her feet again. Are you in one piece still? Are you all right? he said, leaving off shaking and coming toward her; and a laugh burst out of her as suddenly as she had burst into tears when he had said he would take her flying. Yes. No. But not from falling. Tonight was the most--
Words failed her, and she went up to him and put her arms round his neck, and rester her face against his hot sweaty shoulder. She felt his nose in her hair, and then his teeth gently gripped a lock of it, and tugged even more gently, which she would learn was a pegasus caress, like a human kiss (88).
The ending was definitely a devastating one, particularly for this loving duo. And it definitely implies another novel, which I don't think I'll read (I may though, for Sylvi and Ebon) This novel was okay; I did like some things about it. But for the most part, I can't say that I enjoyed Pegasus. It took me too long to finish it and I found myself wondering when it would be over... But *shrugs* find out for yourself and go check it out!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Sniffly Kitty said...

Sadness, this had such a pretty cover. I was hoping it would be good, but I've definitely heard the slow comment quite a bit.

Sniffly Kitty
Sniffly Kitty's Mostly Books
New Meme: Third Sentence Thursday!

Eleni said...

I heard this one wasn't great. I really like your honesty. I never really wanted to read this one, now I definitely will pass. :P