1 2 3 4

Review: Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead

WARNING: If you haven't read books 1-4 of the Vampire Academy series, then you probably shouldn't read this review. Especially since it may contain spoilers!

S p i r i t  B o u n d (#5) by Richelle Mead
Release Date: 5/18/10
Publisher: Penguin/RazorBill
Next: Last Sacrifice (#6) (2010)
Age Group: Young Adult (16+)
Pages: 489
Source: Borrowed/public library
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository | Kindle
Word Blurb: Upsetting, anger-inciting, and tormenting!
"Salvation has its price.
The words stunned Adrian for a moment, but he kept going. "You're lying. What you're describing is impossible. There's no way to save a Strigoi. When they're gone, they're gone. They're dead. Undead. Forever."

Robert's next words weren't directed at Adrian. They were spoken to me. "That which is dead doesn't always stay dead...."

After a long and heartbreaking journey to Dimitri’s birthplace in Siberia, Rose Hathaway has finally returned to St. Vladimir’s—and to her best friend, Lissa Dragomir. It's graduation, and the girls can’t wait for their real lives outside of the Academy’s cold iron gates to finally begin. But even with the intrigue and excitement of court life looming, Rose’s heart still aches for Dimitri. He's out there, somewhere.

She failed to kill him when she had the chance, and now her worst fears are about to come true. Dimitri has tasted her blood, and she knows in her heart that he is hunting her. And if Rose won't join him, he won't rest until he's silenced her...forever.

But Rose can't forget what she learned on her journey—whispers of a magic too impossible and terrifying to comprehend. A magic inextricably tied to Lissa that could hold the answer to all of Rose's prayers, but not without devastating consequences. Now Rose will have to decide what—and who—matters most to her. In the end, is true love really worth the price?

Fall in love with Rose and Dimitri all over again in Spirit Bound, the eagerly awaited fifth novel in Richelle Mead's enthralling Vampire Academy series.
"

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am. I was so disappointed with SPIRIT BOUND! (Say what now?) Me, disappointed with an installment of one of my most favorite series! What the hell?! A mix of elements made me feel this way... characters, plot, ending... Oh, hell, I'm getting mad (MAD!) just thinking about it!

First of all, what, for goodness sake, was up with Rose?! Rose, on the list of my top ten heroines, did the unthinkable! She actually *gulps* annoyed me... It was as if suddenly she became immature and unreasonable, making bad, stupid decisions left and right. All I could think was, Where is my amazing Rose? Where did she go? I was so emotionally attached to this girl, and I especially felt for her in BLOOD PROMISE, and I'd always treasured that emotional bond. Here in SPIRIT BOUND, it felt like I didn't know her at all... I couldn't connect with her, and that infuriated me, ticked me off to no end.

Lissa, Rose's best friend, was once my least favorite character - not because she wasn't a great character, but because she never caught my attention (except for when she went spirit-beserk!) - actually gained a few points with me. The tension between her and Christian made me want to ram my head into a wall. Serious *head-desk* syndrome here, people. And I actually fell a little bit in love with Adrian, where that had once been impossible between the last four books...

And *ZOMG*, the whole thing with Dimitri was absolutely killing me. I couldn't stand the agony of him and Rose being so close, yet so far away regarding their struggling relationship. (A relationship that has taken some serious smack downs, I might add.) But, this goes back to me being ticked at Rose. One minute she claims to want to give Adrian a shot, that she means it, the next she's flying at Dimitri, then she's using Adrian to feel better when Dimitri acts cold or slaps her with rejection. I don't like it when people get used by others, no matter the reason. I felt for Rose, with everything she had to deal with with Dimitri. But, her actions really bugged me!

Then, to top it off, that ending! What swept across my mind was, Really? Seriously? That addition to the plot to shape the last book seems unnecessary to me, and it feels like it was added on just to continue the story. *shrugs* Not too happy with the latest development... I'm definitely going to go after LAST SACRIFICE, but mostly to finish the series, not so much because I enjoyed this last one. I'm so sad *cries*.

"You're beautiful in battle," said Dimitri. His cold voice carried to me clearly, even above the roar of combat. "Like an avenging angel come to deliver the justice of heaven."
"Funny," I said, shifting my hold on the stake. "That is kind of why I'm here."
"Angels fall, Rose."
"I knew you were a badass," continued Adrian. "But I didn't realize just how much until I saw you dropping guardians out there."
"Does that mean you're going to be nicer to me?" I teased.
"I'm already nice to you," he said loftily. "Do you know how badly I want a cigarette right now? But no. I manfully suffer through nicotine withdrawal—all for you."
This was a pure 'I love you, Rose' moment:
"That," I told Tatiana, "is the most fucked-up law I have ever heard."
Happy blogging! And thanks for reading!

0 comments: