1 2 3 4

Author Chat: Trinity Faegan

Sasha is desperate to find out who murdered her father. When getting the answer means pledging her soul to Eryx, she unlocks a secret that puts her in grave danger—Sasha is Anabo, a daughter of Eve, and Eryx’s biggest threat.

A son of Hell, immortal, and bound to Earth forever, Jax looks for redemption in the Mephisto Covenant—God’s promise he will find peace in the love of an Anabo. After a thousand years, he’s finally found the girl he’s been searching for: Sasha.

With the threat of Eryx looming, Jax has to keep Sasha safe and win her over. But can he? Will Sasha love him and give up her mortal life?

An eerie, entrancing story, The Mephisto Covenant has it all: gorgeous, bad-ass hunters (the Mephisto), a bright, caring MC (the Anabo), and a devilish, sinister villain that pulls the strings throughout (that would be Eryx)! The book is full of love, loss, sacrifice, and temptation. And when Sasha gets involved with these enigmatic Mephisto, will she decide to stay or will Jax lose her forever?


Trinity Faegan agreed to stop by the blog and and run through a few questions with me, giving answers I know I'm dying to know.

Thank you, Trinity, for helping me piece together the following interview...


The Mephisto Covenant was a totally engaging and fascinating read, and I think the first thing I would like to know is if there are plans for a sequel?

First, thank you! And yes, the second book in the series will be out in Fall 2012. I turned it in to my editor about a week ago. It was the hardest book I’ve ever written.

How did this story even come about? What inspired The Mephisto Covenant? What drew you to writing about angels and, I guess, demons?

Several years ago, someone very close to me was the victim of sexual assault. I thought a lot about evil – why it exists, what it means, and why good people are touched by it, changing their lives forever. I had a really difficult time coming to terms with what happened, and one night, I dreamed about these amazing guys who had the power to find evil and get rid of it. Kind of loosey-goosey for a whole book, but it stuck with me and over time, the Mephisto formed in my imagination. I didn’t want them to be angelic, or demonic, but real guys, with supernatural abilities, and conflicted souls.

Is everything in your novel Greek-based? Why?

In the first draft of this story, the Mephisto were born during the time of Greek gods, so the names, the background, everything I researched was Greek. I later changed the story so that they were born during the Dark Ages, but the Greek elements stuck.

How would you describe Sasha?

She’s fiercely loyal, smart, and confident, but resistant to change. She likes stability, and once her world begins to change, there’s nothing she can count on, which is why she grows over the course of the story. She either has to bend, or break.

I love the Mephisto brothers! Do you have a favorite among them?

He didn’t get a lot of page time, but Zee is my favorite. He’s very complicated, and so deep. I’d love to write his story. I already know his Anabo, and she’s perfect for him.

Which character was the most fun to write for?

Hands down, Phoenix. He’s solemn and sad, but also snarky and funny, sometimes unintentionally. I think his story will be the most fun for me to write.

Could you share one best-loved line or scene from the book?

The shopping scene was originally my favorite, but a huge chunk of it was cut in edits. Now my favorite scene is when Sasha goes to the Ghost House to find Amanda. It’s a turning point for her. Favorite line is Phoenix to Jax, telling him Lucifer will be angry if he doesn’t win Sasha, but there’s nothing he can do about it: “Women don’t always do what you want, even if you’re Lord of the Underworld.”

Of all the aspects of the book, I have to say that I love the romance probably the most. Jax and Sasha are such a sweet pair and watching their relationship blossom, slowly, was incredibly touching. How would you describe their relationship, how they complement each other?

For all that he’s a son of Hell, there’s a sentimental side to Jax, and for all that Sasha is without original sin, she has a backbone of steel. As much as Jax admires her for the obvious reasons – she’s hot and she’s Anabo – he appreciates her courage. And as much as Sasha admires Jax because he’s good looking and fights evil, she’s drawn to his affection for his family. She was so close to her dad, and grief over his death has made her hyper aware of how important it is to cherish family.

I'm definitely yearning for what's to come, and I think I speak for many when I say that I want to know what to expect. What can you unveil about the ensuing books to come? Any sneak peeks you care to share?

As of now, there’s only one more book – this was a two book contract. I’m hopeful there’ll be more, but the jury’s still out, so we’ll see. In Book 2, another brother – we’re not saying which one just yet – will find an Anabo, and she’s very different from Sasha. She’s the First Daughter, and her path to Mephisto is littered with all kinds of obstacles, including a boyfriend. This was such a difficult book to write because my editor wanted it to stand alone, so no one has to have read the first to know what’s going on in the second. Rebuilding the world without info-dumping all over the place was challenging. As for hints: Eryx is in this book in a way he wasn’t in the first. He’s a main character. There are also more allusions to the overall story arc to the series.

After The Mephisto Covenant, can we expect to see anything from you in the future? Any projects currently underway?

I’m writing a contemporary realistic YA about a Manhattan girl whose mom marries a ranch foreman and she has to move to the outback of west Texas. It’s a lot like moving to another planet, and her only goal is to win a writing scholarship to boarding school so she can go back to New York. Her plan to remain invisible and anonymous fails when a guy at school begins stalking her, and her stepdad won’t see that he’s a creeper. She befriends the guy that the rancher’s daughter is in love with, and much drama ensues. This is a scary story, but also a romance. I can’t wait to finish writing it, and I hope it finds a home.

Have you read anything particularly awesome so far this summer? Are there any books you're looking forward to getting your hands on before the year fades out?

I actually spent the entire summer writing, so haven’t gotten to read in forever. It’s like I gave up water, or something. I’m so excited to dive into my teetering stacks of to-be-read books. First up is Simone Elkeles’s Chain Reaction. I’ve been dying to read it since I read the last page of Rules of Attraction. I’m also looking forward to Heather Brewer’s first book in her Slayer Chronicles. I loved the Vlad books!

It was lovely to have you on the blog, Trinity! Thank you for stopping by!

Thank you, Asher! How lovely of you to invite me!


Oh, Trinity, I'm soooo excited for that book two you've got coming out, especially if Eryx's way more involved! I wonder what you mean by that, though.

I hope to have you back on the blog soon!

1 comments:

Logan E. Turner said...

Awesome interview Asher! I LOVED The Mephisto Covenant, so thanks for letting us see behind the scenes. :)