1 2 3 4

Review: Texas Gothic

Texas Gothic
by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Add it to Goodreads?
Purchase at Amazon?
Release Date: July 12, 2011
Publisher: Random House
Age Group: Young Adult
Source: Library Check-Out
Rating: Sud-Kissed
About the Book:
Amy Goodnight's family is far from normal. She comes from a line of witches, but tries her best to stay far outside the family business. Her summer gig? Ranch-sitting for her aunt with her wacky but beautiful sister. Only the Goodnight Ranch is even less normal than it normally is. Bodies are being discovered, a ghost is on the prowl, and everywhere she turns, the hot neighbor cowboy is in her face
The goat was in the tree again...

I have a big crush on witchy books. I just love the idea of magic in a cauldron, spells from nature, and useless or inconsequential charms in a bottle. The idea that regular humans can possibly tap into otherwordly forces. Maybe that's why I was a little disappointed that Amy Goodnight wanted to play Protector of the Family from Outside Forces who wouldn't understand about magic, and was totally desperate to assimilate to non-witchy society. I wanted spells galore, magic at its finest run amok, and I didn't get that, didn't get what I was expecting so that's why I couldn't LOVE this book like I wanted to.

Although it wasn't what I was looking for at the moment, Texas Gothic did continually surprise me. The Goodnights are just so charmingly quirky, much like the entire book, that I couldn't help but like their characters. And Clement-Moore did a wonderful job giving a certain liveliness to all of the characters. Each had their own voice, their own personalities that were tangible even if they weren't the narrator like Amy. Amy herself falls under one of my favorite types of heroines - a Snarky Spirit. Her quick wit and her dismay at her family's lack of subtlety for magic in the presence of nonbelievers were a hilarious and endearing combination, if a little annoying at times. Pair her up with a sexy cranky cowboy (Tucker, I miss you!) who can use words like whips just as well, even as he's herding your goats for you, and you've got a devastatingly sexual tension-filled romance that progresses ever slowly, followed by a steamy explosion of Hot and Busyness in the... Well, *waggles eyebrows* we don't want that to get out now, do we?

The snarky prose and cast aside, my main reason for being glued to the pages of this large-sized novel in the span of a day was Amy and her sister's quest to cleanse the Goodnight name. Accused of being the reason for so many mishaps in the town, both supernatural-inspired and mysterious attacks on the site that may be derived from a notso supernatural, but just as sinister, culprit, the Goodnights feel the unbending urge to clear their family name and get the town off their backs. Well, Amy, in particular, whereas Phin is more interested in monitoring the paranormal activity taking place. The mystery didn't make my hands go white at the knuckles, but it was enough of an incentive to keep reading and figure out Who Done It.

Overall, the characters combined with the fast-paced mystery of the eerie poltergeist plaguing the town proved to be a very entertaining (expect a lot of laughs and surprises!), very hot (Ben equals yum!), and very engaging (the history plus the paranormal were truly amazingly written) read. If Clement-Moore decides to write anything else (have word of anything?), then I will surely read whatever it is so long as her witty writing style remains intact.

13 comments:

Sarah (saz101) said...

Oh my GOODNESS, I freaking LOVED The Splendour Falls from RC-M, and I've been hanging out to read this one for ages!

I wondered if this was set in the same world as Sylvie and Rhys, but I don't really care--I want to read it anyway XD

Fab review. I so need to get it off my TBR and onto my read-and-love-love-loved list!

Amber said...

Great review! I always love characters with loads of snarky and fast paced plots. I'll have to check this one out!

Little Miss Becky said...

I loved this one, too. The first scene where Amy meets Ben was priceless! I haven't heard of any future works from Clement-Moore, but I am planning to fit Splendor Falls into my reading schedule soon!

Marathon said...

Sarah- Splendor Falls? Why is this the first time I'm hearing about this? *goes to goodreads* OH, MY. Instant tbr addition!

Amber- Aren't the snarky ones the best? Can never get enough of those!

Becky- YES. I cracked up so bad. I actually wanted to put up a quote from the scene but I ended up returning it before I could make note of the page & quote. *face-palm*

I'm going to be hunting down Splendor Falls now as well!

Jenny said...

Did you say snarky heroine and sexy cowboy? DONE! This one is so going on my list:) I don't read many witch books, I have no idea why because whenever I read one I always enjoy it, I just seem to gravitate toward vampire, shifter, and fae. Thanks so much for this fabulous review Asher, I can't wait to give this one a try!

Linda said...

I loved Splendor Falls but only had lukewarm feelings toward Texas Gothic. I hope Clement-Moore publishes another book soon. Probably my favorite new to me author of 2011.

Marathon said...

Jenny- OH, YES. Not as amazing as Tucker from Unearthly but an incredible simulation xD It's funny because this is my first witch book in awhile. I too gravitate more toward vampires and faeries than anything else. I'm so excited you're going to give it a try!

Linda- I have to check out this Splendor Falls everyone's got me curious about. I'm in the same boat about Clement-Moore writing something else. And soon.

Anonymous said...

I've had this one on my shelf since it came out and haven't gotten around to reading it yet. It sounds great though so maybe that should be the next one I pick up!

Sarah@Catching Books said...

great review! This book looks great!

Anonymous said...

ohhhh! I love reading about ghosts! This sounds like a great one! Great review!

Brodie said...

Okay, I think I'm sold with a Snarky protagonist + 'sexy cranky cowboy' love interest (TEAM TUCKER!! <3). I'm definitely intrigued to learn about the history/paranormal elements and... well, maybe/possibly/especially for the steamy explosion too hehe.

I love your reviews!! <3 I have a copy of The Splendor Falls (had it for-freaking-ever), so methinks I should definitely give that a read soon!

Marathon said...

Amanda- Yeah, definitely, it's such a great paranormal mystery.

Sarah- Thanks! Hope you get the chance to read it soon.

Mesa- Me, I like the benevolent kind of ghost stories. I'm too much of a wimp for the creeptastic kind. Thank you!

Brodie- Those would be my selling points too ;) I NEED TO READ HALLOWED, immediately. The wait is unbearable. *waggles* The Hot and Busyness is... Yum.

Well, you don't need me to tell you twice how much I love yours *lol* You, too? Everyone seems to love/have read Splendor Falls. I'm going to have to hurry and look for it.

Liz. R said...

I love witchy books too! Heard a lot about this one but haven't grabbed a copy yet. Sounds pretty good, and the sexy cowboy is definitely a plus! Great review :).