1 2 3 4

Review: The Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink

The Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink

Get the Deets: Goodreads»»  
(What is Goodreads.com?)
Release Date: August 1, 2009

Publisher: Little Brown
Source: borrowed/Public Library
Purchase: Book Depo. | Amazon | Kindle
About the Book:

An ancient prophecy divides two sisters-

One good...

One evil...

Who will prevail?


Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets.

Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust.

They just know they can't trust each other.

The great thing, so far, about this series is that it's actually very, very interesting and definitely engrossing. I haven't read a book that's made me want to know about its backstory, more on the mythology, and piece together the Big Picture as much as with The Prophecy of the Sisters in a long time. The time period only adds to the dark, dismal overtone and the animosity between the sisters grows to the point of chilling, which tended to push me to look over my shoulder from time to time (making me feel slightly ridiculous in the process). The sisters themselves fascinated me in their differences and the parts they play in this cryptic, grim prophecy.

I can't say that this book was absolutely amazing, because I didn't find it to be so. It was still a well-written, intriguing novel that has definitely encouraged my curiosity as to what's to come. I was genuinely impressed by how creatively Zink incorporated *MAY BE SPOILERY* the angel mythology in Alice and Lia's story, how she twisted the plot in unexpected ways to make the book more appealing and readable. I wanted to go on reading purely for the sake of learning more. I wanted to uncover Alice and Lia's roles in this mysterious prophecy, and how they were supposed to fulfill it. With Lia being the good sister, how was she supposed to prevent the black side of the prophecy from coming true? It got to be pretty intense at points, and it never felt safe with Alice roaming the grounds and acting suspiciously.

Because Lia is so hampered by grief it was difficult to establish an attachment to her. She's a nice, kind girl and far braver than she gives herself credit for, but I want to feel more connected with her as I continue with the series. I want to feel the urge to make I HEART LIA t-shirts because her character, this story is so epic. I haven't felt that yet, unlike many around the blogosphere. So many people love this series, and I can only assume it's going to get better with the next two books, but I'm not firmly hooked just yet. I want to love the cast, Lia's two new allies, Aunt Virginia, Edmund... it's just not there yet for me. My heart hasn't been completely captured. I need more.

I especially need more romance. It's no secret that I need me a good, satisfying romance to fully enjoy a book. Without one, a WELL-WRITTEN one, I can't totally immerse myself in the book. There's promise for an exhilarating romance with the entirely lovable James, but it wasn't nearly as rich as I needed it to be for me to fall in love with him and his relationship with Lia. I need more background on him, on their history for me to understand why she loves him, has loved him for some time, going back to the connection I so badly want. I hope to see more of James in the coming books! And I sincerely hope that Alice doesn't successfully get her grubby little paws all over him! That would be bad, really bad and distasteful, if you ask me.

The ending was on the jaw-dropping side, for sure. A bit of a tear-jerker, too, particularly for someone with a heart prone to turning to mush and who easily gets WAY too invested in the fictional realm. My undoing is children and any suffering that is aimed at them, so you can imagine (really you can, but you have to read the book to understand what I mean) why I was so upset with the conclusion. And now that the battle lines between the sisters have been officially set, things, from this point on, are only going to get more exciting! Guardian of the Gate, I expect, will be much better and much more addictive...


---------------------------------------------------

"...Isn't it worth the small sacrifice of conscience to live your life in peace?"
Something desperate has crept into her words, waking me from the silken spell of her voice. I shake my head with force, as if to push away the whispered promise that pulls me close even as I want to push it away. 
"I cannot... I cannot do such a thing, Alice. I simply cannot. I cannot help the way I feel either. This is the way I am."
I think she might be angry, but her voice is filled only with sadness. "Yes. I thought as much. I'm sorry, Lia."
Her hand finds mine across the step, and she takes it the way she used to when we were small. It is not any bigger than mine, not really, and yet there was a time when I always felt safe with my hand in Alice's. I don't know why she says she is sorry, but I fear I will soon find out.
And my hand will not be safe in hers again." (189)

2 comments:

Small Review said...

I felt much the same. I never connected with Lia and I always felt like I needed more of everything to become invested. There is more romance in the second book, but I personally didn't like it. I liked the first book overall a lot more than the second, but I wasn't really wowed by either. I do agree with you though on the mythology, that part is cool.

Marathon said...

It was something very obvious, that lack of connection, and I kept having to skim over a lot, because I wanted to hold out and not get bored to the point of putting it down. At the same time I see the potential and the mythology really, really impresed me. Now, I'm way more wary of the romance factor.