1 2 3 4

Library Loot +More!

/*To leave me a comment, click (#) Comments next to the labels above.*/
Yes, Saturday's here. I've had a pretty trying week so far, with my grandmother being in the hospital and all; I'm just glad to have a break, one where I'll be submersing myself into the land of books, places where nothing else exists.

On a cheerier note, guess who wanted to say hi...?

Aren't I adorable? You know I am. :)
Sam is super adorable and sweet with me, very much unlike his brother, Josh, who seems to hate my guts or something. Do you know how rotten it feels to have your own cat cringe away when you attempt to pet him? I thought not. *cries*

Just kidding. Anyway, Sam is curled up in my lap, napping as we speak...

So, this week some exciting things have taken place as far as books go. Let me show you what I mean:

Library stop number one.
*jumps up and down* I know, wonderful isn't it? Before I go on, let me give you the deets on my first set of library pickups.

1) Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins: "Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her."

Alex at Electrifying Reviews found it enjoyable, slapping a 4/5 average rating. At one point he wrote, "I really loved how vampires, demons, faeries, shifters, and werewolves were all brought together under one roof. I also really liked the idea of all the different groups that are out to destroy them." But something to keep in mind would be, "even though it wasn’t the mind-blowing spectacular I thought it would be, it was still a great read that I thoroughly enjoyed reading." Thanks Alex for the honest review! Also, Reverie Book Reviews said, "A friend recently said that she refuses to read YA book set in paranormal schools. After all, we got “House of Night” and “Vampire Academy” and “Harry Potter” but thank god I dismissed that notion because I would be missing out on a great read." And The Story Siren wrote, "...Hex Hall is a laugh-out-load, fast paced and easy read. It could really go either way. The point is, however, that it was marvelous."

Hot damn, I so badly very want to read this one! It sounds so wonderful! I cannot wait!

Sequel Alert
Click me to learn more!
2) Ascendant by Diana Peterfreund: You want to read something funny? I just now, as I was writing this post, found out that this is actually a sequel. *shakes head* Well, it wouldn't be the first time I read a book without reading the first in the series *cough* Twilight *cough*.

Summary: Click me!

Listen to what Diana had to say about her, I'm assuming, series:


I'm really looking forward to delving into this novel, and if I decide I like it, I may go back and read Ascendant's predecessor. It sounds awesome though! I mean, come on, this book is about killer unicorns! I say, fascinating.

3) Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead: So, if you happened to read my Top Ten Tuesday earlier in the week, you'll already know that I had basically sworn off from Vampire Academy unconsciously. I think I was so heartbroken and traumatized by what happened to Dimitri and Rose by the time I finished book four that when book five released I didn't bother hunting it down. But, I've decided to stop the nonsense and take up this great series once more and finish it all the way through.

I don't want to post a summary, in case there are those who haven't read this series; it's too far in, meaning there are bound to be spoilers. But, you can find a pretty decent summary at Goodreads this way»»

Oh! and there is a Vampire Academy #6, Last Sacrifice, the conclusion to the series.

4) Wildthorn by Jane Eagland: If you watched my ridiculously long Fragment Friday vlog already, then you'll know that this book sounds terrifyingly insane with a side dose of creepy. Yet, I can't wait to read it. (I'm not really the horror or creepy kind of gal when it comes to books, so it always shocks me when I end up picking up a book like that anyway.)

"They strip her naked, of everything—undo her whalebone corset, hook by hook. Locked away in Wildthorn Hall—a madhouse—they take her identity. She is now called Lucy Childs. She has no one; she has nothing. But, she is still seventeen—still Louisa Cosgrove, isn't she? Who has done this unthinkable deed? Louisa must free herself, in more ways than one, and muster up the courage to be her true self, all the while solving her own twisted mystery and falling into an unconventional love . . . Originally published in the UK, this well-paced, provocative romance pushes on boundaries—both literal and figurative—and, do beware: it will bind you, too."

Sounds...intense. Read what the author, Jane Eagland, used as inspiration for her maddening novel:
Wildthorn was inspired by a true story I came across in a book called Against Therapy by Jeffrey Masson. I learned that Hersilie Rouy, a nineteenth century French woman, was incarcerated in asylums for fifteen years despite the fact that she was sane. She was deprived of her true identity and the more she protested about this and about her treatment, the more this was taken as evidence of her insanity.

How terrible, I thought. And then, What must it have been like for her?

The injustice of what happened to Hersilie appealed to something deep in me and directly inspired my depiction of Louisa.

I’ve always been interested in and moved by stories of psychiatric patients, those who perhaps did need help, but often weren’t treated in helpful ways. My own mother was diagnosed as a ‘manic depressive’ as it was called then and spent years in and out of hospitals eventually lapsing into a state of depression.

I think part of my motivation in writing Wildthorn was to give voice to all those poor lost people down the years who couldn’t speak for themselves. I’ve tried to do this through the other inmates, especially Beatrice.

The asylum is a dark place and what Louisa experiences there is frightening. But despite the secret that threatens to undermine her confidence, she has courage. I hope you enjoy accompanying her on her journey as she struggles to face up to the truth about herself and at the same time tries to unravel the mystery that lies behind her imprisonment. (taken from Jane Eagland's 'site)
5) Halo by Alexandra Adornetto: "Three angels- Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, the youngest and most human- are sent by Heaven to bring good to a world falling under the influence of darkness. They must work hard to conceal their luminous glow, superhuman powers, and, most dangerous of all, their wings, all the while avoiding all human attachments.

Then Bethany meets Xavier Woods, and neither of them is able to resist the attraction between them. Gabriel and Ivy do everything in their power to intervene, but the bond between Xavier and Bethany seems too strong.

The angel’s mission is urgent, and dark forces are threatening. Will love ruin Bethany or save her?
"


Mundie Moms wrote, "...With Bethany being so naive, I like how protective Xavier is of her. Even Xavier will have a challenge protecting Bethany against the hot new British bad boy, Jake Thorn. Where there's good, there's evil. Jake definitely provides the evil in Halo.

Halo's sweet love story and good vs evil battle make for a quick, fun read. I'm looking forward to finding out more to Bethany's story in Hades, when it's released next year. Congratulations to 17 year old Alexandra Adornetto, as Halo is her first US debut."

Yep, that's right Alexandra Adornetto is 17 years old! What an inspiration, right? At least I think so...

I've been wanting to read this one for awhile now, and I'm so glad to finally have my chance!

Next, I want to share some exciting stuff!


I got these two novels sent by Hilari Bell for review! Hilari also wrote another novel that released earlier in the month, Trickster's Girl. I bet ya, you've heard of it. I'll hopefully be getting an interview out of her if I could only get through my reading pile fast enough!


And look at that! She signed 'em for me! *squeals* So awesome...

And that's not all.


I received my first review request form Shelley Workinger, author of Solid. She was also kind enough to write me a little note, sign the novel, AND gift me a bookmark. How sweet!

I should be reviewing Solid around Jan. 17-18 ish, hopefully. And I plan to have Shelley stop by the blog as well.

Thank you, Hilari! Thanks, Shelley!

Now, then, this post won't be complete without including my second library stop at my school library. Here's what I picked up:


  • Stargazer by Claudia Gray: A lifetime ago, I wrote in my first Top Ten Tuesday that I would never ever touch the Evernight series again after reading the first novel. That's because I seem to have a psychological issue when it comes to the outcomes of romance especially between the two main characters, in this case Lucas and Bianca. Just like with Spirit Bound, I'm facing my fears and reading it! Learn more about the Evernight series here»»
  • Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen: Last month--or was it two months ago?--I had my first taste of Sarah Dessen novels when I read, Lock and Key, a book I adored. Because of this, I picked up another of her works, counting on it being moving and lovely. Read a Goodreads summary forAlong for the Ride»»
  • Graceling by Kristin Cashore: I was drawn in by the summary I found in the front flap of the book I was hooked so I snagged it before anyone else could and ran up to my librarian pal up at the front desk. It sounds magical and enchanting, yet serious and possibly intense. Can't wait find out for sure. Goodreads has a summary for Graceling»»
Updates!

This upcoming Tuesday, I'm excited to announce that I will be having Death, aka the Pale Rider, from Jackie Morse Kessler's Hunger, one of my favorite novels of 2010, as a guest on my blog *has a fangirl meltdown*! Prepare for a super fun character interview coming January 11th! Thanks, Jackie!

&that's everything.

Thanks for reading! :)

7 comments:

John The Bookworm said...

Hex Hall - Adorable and hilarious. You laugh so much and it's never cliche. My favorite character is Jenna - you'll see why soon enough.

Halo - Disappointed me, but you may enjoy it a lot!

Goblin Wood - I read this a long time ago, but I remember loving it. Can't wait to see your reviews!

Graceling/Sara Dessen/Evernight series = All gloriously awesome.

You had a good week.

brandileigh2003 said...

Very cute kitty!

I love the Vamp Academy and Spirit Bound was awesome.

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Small Review said...

Aw, Sam is very cute!

Congrats on your Hilari Bell books! I enjoyed The Goblin Wood, but I liked her Knight and Rogue book even better. That's so exciting that you got those two books, and signed!!

I loooove the Killer Unicorn series, but please, please, please get a copy of Rampant before reading Ascendant. It'll be much better that way, I promise. :)

Diana Peterfreund said...

I'm going to argue that you read RAMPANT first too, but I'm WAY biased.

Marathon said...

@Diana,

Damn! I've been caught!

After much consideration (and peer pressure.. xD) I've decided to make sure I look for Rampant when I visit the library on the 24th and renew this one so that I can read 'em together.

Sheesh! *laughs*

Asher K.

Eleni said...

Your posts always make me smile. :) You will LOVE Hex Hall, I just have a feeling...I'm looking forward to your reviews doll!

Books for Company said...

Great set!
Your library is amazing, we never seem to get great books like that!
Enjoy =)
I am a new follower btw