1 2 3 4

Review: Stork by Wendy Delsol

Stork by Wendy Delsol

Get the Deets: Goodreads»» (What is Goodreads.com?)
Source: borrowed/Public library
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository | Kindle
Next: Frost (Oct. 11, 2011)


Family secrets. Lost memories. And the arrival of an ancient magical ability that will reveal everything.

Sixteen-year-old Katla LeBlanc has just moved from Los Angeles to Minnesota. As if it weren’t enough that her trendy fashion sense draws stares, Katla soon finds out that she’s a Stork, a member of a mysterious order of women tasked with a very unique duty. But Katla’s biggest challenge may be finding her flock at a new school. Between being ignored by Wade, the arrogant jock she stupidly fooled around with, and constantly arguing with gorgeous farm boy and editor-in-chief Jack, Katla is relieved when her assignment as the school paper’s fashion columnist brings with it some much-needed friendship. But as Homecoming approaches, Katla uncovers a shocking secret about her past — a secret that binds her fate to Jack’s in a way neither could have ever anticipated. With a nod to Hans Christian Andersen and inspired by Norse lore, Wendy Delsol’s debut novel introduces a hip and witty heroine who finds herself tail-feathers deep in small-town life.

I loved this book like WHOA. I found everything I could ever hope for in Stork. Incredible, sweet romance. Unique plot line and world-building. A remarkable, lovable heroine. And a paranormal element that made me go gaga. Seriously, deeply in love with this book.

Now, does that mean it was perfect? No. The pacing was a little inconsistent and I must admit, I got confused at certain points so that I had to go back and reread something. Other than that, though, I wasn't really bothered. I have, like, ZERO to no actual complaints about Stork. Because I was completely blown away by all the other aspects that made this a fabulous read!

So, I have a confession. I love legends and myths. Ironically, though, I know of only a few. So, imagine my surprise and delight when I found that this book has to do with Icelandic mythology. The times of the Vikings. The Icelandic language - I'm a HUGE fan of languages. I just love hearing them being spoken. There is something so beautifully foreign and alien in each one - and Icelandic is no different. No matter that I couldn't hear it for real. That being said, I discovered a newfound fascination with the Icelandic culture. More so, when the mythology behind the Storks was revealed. Wendy's Stork Society brought out a whole new set of unique and exciting paranormal beings to add to YA lit.

Kat Leblanc is another heroine to include on my list of faves. She's refreshing in personality, yet relatable in her feelings and confusion throughout the book. Her odd, yet trendy fashion sense is to die for, and I think that her interest in it makes her a fun character. I would crack up at various points, because no matter the situation, she'd be worried about the state of her outfit. And I enjoyed her narration. She has snark, Kat does. And, like I said, her feelings are real: Kat is POed at being forced to acclimate to smalltown Minnesota life, AFTER having to endure a wretched divorce between her mom and dad. Separated from a dad she adores, Kat's none too happy to live away from him. Her hurt and frustration and dismay toward the divorce becomes more and more noticeable, as her mom engages in a relationship with another man. But what I like most of all is how she can admit her mistakes, and feel shamed by them. How she's not above keeping secrets and lying. Because that's what we all do when we're either embarrassed and/or ashamed.

Plus, points for Kat for being willing to accept her heritage and the paranormal calling to be a member of the Stork Society. I liked how at first she denied it, but then slowly came to accept it and work at it. (POSSIBLY SPOILERY) Everyone knows at least a little about the Storks and how they were depicted as deliverers of babies. Here, in Desol's novel the Storks are responsible for granting essences to potential vessels (mothers). The dreams, the magic, the concept of it all just blew my mind. Imagine, being selected to carry a child. Not because you willed it, but because it was decided. Head rashes aside, I'd say being a Stork sounds like a pretty cool gig.

The best part, though, for me, besides the mythology, was Kat's romance with Jack. I mean, her friendships with Pedro and Penny and Tina were nice, fun, and I liked Fru Hulda, but I much prefer swooning at the adorableness and gorgeousness that is Jack. (A TAD SPOILERY) How much cuter can a guy get after admitting that he's been waiting for Kat since they last saw each other - which was when they were kids, meeting after a freak accident that I WILL NOT describe because that would be way too spoilery AND it sounds so much better coming from Jack anyway. It was hard trying to figure him out the whole time. At first he seemed expectant, then he just went straight to standoffish. Ending in too-sweet-for-words. Considering that this romance spanned, like, a week, however, I want them to get to know each other better. There's this irresistible bond between the two of them, this electric connection that can't be ignored, BUT I've mentioned before that I need more from a romance. This makes a good starting point for them, therefore I'm happy that no I love yous were exchanged - that I can recall anyway.

The plot was thick with suspense and tension and mystery. I watched as Katla began filling in the blanks regarding her heritage. Read on as more than a few attempts on her life were made. Was thoroughly creeped out by the totally unpleasant, menacing Wade who pops up to spread the spooks. The villain reveal... I was thrown for a loop, at first, but then found my way back. My original suspect, however, has not been cleared in my book, though. I'm still suspicious and wouldn't be surprised if this person turns out to be another villain in later books. That final face-off, those final few scenes has me begging for more! Lucky for me, Frost has now become available to me via NetGalley (aka the best thing since bread and doughnuts!).

"I have a suit, but it's an old one of my dad's."
"They're just clothes." This out of the mouth of a girl whose tenth-grade yearbook quote was, "I accessorize, therefore I am."
"What would your friends in LA think?"
"What does it matter?" It didn't matter. Not one bit. I couldn't believe how distant malls and beaches seemed.
"You won't be embarrassed?"
"I won't if you won't." I motioned with my arms to an imaginary skirt. "Did you know vampire drool is an actual shade of red? And Frederick's of Hollywood has a whole line of Pretty Woman formal wear?"
His eyes grew to the size of Frisbees. "Uh. I think my parents will want to see a picture of us."
"You are so gullible." (287-288)

If you're interested in Stork, you might want to pick up:

Click HERE to go to its Goodreads page.
Click HERE to read my review.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Great review! This one sounds really interesting. I'll have to pick it up soon :)

Marathon said...

Tiffany - Thanks! It really is, definitely give it a go.

Small Review said...

Aw, Kat sounds so sweet! I love it when paranormal characters are so *normal*

I love mythology, too! But I know very little about Norse mythology, so this will be fun. I'm so excited to read this book now. Thanks!

Marathon said...

Kat, if nothing else, is genuine and relatable. Two of my fave aspects in a paranormal heroine.

And I thought the same when I first started it! It DID NOT disappoint. Hope you enjoy it when you get the chance!