1 2 3 4

Review: Summer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa

WARNING: If you haven't read previous books from the Iron Fey series, then you should probably stay away from this review!

Summer's Crossing (Iron Fey, #3.5) by Julie Kagawa

Get the Deets: Goodreads»» (What is Goodreads.com?)
Source: free purchase
Purchase: Amazon/Kindle (get it for free!)
Next: Iron Knight (Oct. 25, 2011)


A Midsummer's Nightmare? Robin Goodfellow. Puck. Summer Court prankster, King Oberon's right hand, bane of many a faery queen's existence—and secret friend to Prince Ash of the Winter Court. Until one girl's death came between them, and another girl stole both their hearts.

Now Ash has granted one favor too many and someone's come to collect, forcing the prince to a place he cannot go without Puck's help—into the heart of the Summer Court. And Puck faces the ultimate choice—betray Ash and possibly win the girl they both love, or help his former friend turned bitter enemy pull off a deception that no true faery prankster could possibly resist.

An ebook exclusive novella from Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series.

Okay, while I love me some Ash-action, I'm simultaneously a drop-dead Puck fan. Who can resist that gorgeous red-headed man of tricks and pranks, with inherent wit and years of experience and a well-rounded reputation, I ask you!? Certainly not Asher Knight, I'll tell you that much. He's like every fan girl and book lover's dream come to life! That being said, it should come as no surprise that I ABSOLUTELY LOVED this new Iron Fey novella. I've been DYING for the chance to see inside Puck's head and heart, and Kagawa did not disappoint. (As I knew she wouldn't. I trust Julie like that.)

A side-benefit to his... charming character is his relationship with Ash. They are one of the best pair of frenemies I've ever had the untold pleasure of reading about. I have no shame in admitting that they are more than likely my favorite pair. And I gathered enormous delight from watching them start this, no doubt epic, journey together. (SPOILER ALERT) I WAS a little disappointed that they didn't go straight to trying to find Grimalkin, as I miss that rotten cat (END OF SPOILER). But this little side venture served as wonderful entertainment. Reading as these two engaged in their familiar banter just wiped out any prior disappointment. It just felt good reading about my guys again. Especially since we Iron Fey fans have quite a wait to endure before any of us can get our hands on the fourth - and I'm assuming final - installment to this AMAZING series.

If their time together in Summer's Crossing is any indication as to what The Iron Knight is going to be like, you can guarantee that I'll be getting my hands on the finale by whatever means necessary - murder being one of the options - as soon as humanly - or inhumanly - possible. Especially considering that I need, NEED to know how, or if, this dazzling fey couple - Meghan and Ash - are going to be reunited after that forced, horrible - and inexcusable, Ms. Kagawa - separation. These two better get their happy ending... or else. AND, I have to know how things will turn out for my favorite trickster. It became only more evident that Puck still carries feelings for Meghan. Will they die out? And what about his and Ash's promise to kill each other? What's in store for my Puck? Kagawa can't just leave me - or Puck - hanging... right?

"Well, that was... interesting," I ventured, deliberately ignoring Ash's glare. His sleeve was tattered, and blood smeared his forearm up to his elbow. "I don't remember hedge wolves ever doing that before."
"If I didn't need you..."
"Oh, but you do," I reminded him, grinning. "Let's not forget that, huh, ice-boy?" His expression darkened even more, but he turned away.
"Come on," Ash said, his voice even colder than normal. "We don't have time for your idiocy now."
"That's what I like about you Winter fey... you're all such scintillating wits, such clever purveyors of words, such wise and frollicsome--"
I ducked as a pinecone zipped by my head with enough force to have done more than muss my hair. A chuckle escaped me. "Always good to know you care, ice-boy."

Besides reading the start to the series, The Iron King, you might want to try:

Click HERE to go to its Goodreads page.

1 comments:

Small Review said...

I liked Summer's Crossing a lot. It was fun and entertaining. But...it did feel a lot more like a short story that you could easily skip and not miss anything in The Iron Knight. Winter's Passage seemed a lot more necessary to the reading order to me.