1 2 3 4

Covetable Covers (3): Windows to the Soul

Covetable Covers is a feature I go about putting together to spotlight some very desirable and alluring book covers that correspond to the theme I've selected for this week's post. Want to visit past Covetable Covers posts?
Click here to view Covetable Covers entries old and recent!

I can't quite explain my obsession with the cover of Deadly Cool, but I'm going to go for it anyway. Bear with me. It could be the super wonderful and creative fonts used for the title. Yes, that could definitely be a reigning factor. BUT, it's not what drew my attention.

Could it have been the pale, pale skin and lightened lips? Certainly. She looks unreal. The makeup is stunning.

But, it's the eyes, ladies and males, that had me looking more closely. The vividness of the color, a bright icy blue. Then there's the sparkly eye makeup. The eyeliner is killer.

Put it all together--the makeup, the fonts, everything--and I find myself in awe of this cover. And it leaves me wondering what kind of expression she's wearing? Is she staring out into nothing? Could she be dead? Why are her eyes looking in that direction? And how does this overall cover image fit with the story?

Maybe you could tell me. Here's the summary:

Hartley Grace Featherstone is having a very bad day. First she finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her with the president of the Herbert Hoover High School Chastity Club. Then he's pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And if that weren't enough, now he's depending on Hartley to clear his name. Seriously? Not cool. But as much as Hartley wouldn't mind seeing him squirm, she knows he's innocent, and she's the only one who can help him. Along with her best friend, Sam, and the school's resident Bad Boy, Chase, Hartley starts investigating on her own. But as the dead bodies begin to pile up, the mystery deepens, the suspects multiply, and Hartley begins to fear that she may be the killer's next victim.

Sounds kind of like Clarity by Kim Harrington, which I have yet to read but would really like to.

Since I'm waiting for this book like all the rest of you are now, I've found some other reads with fascinating eyes on their covers!

     



Ashes looks and sounds bizarre. But recently I've discovered I have a thing for post-apocalyptic themed books. Don't know why, but I especially like it when they feature zombies. Maybe it's the thrill of the chase. You know, never knowing when the protagonists are going to get caught and eaten. It's kind of addictive.

I think I already mentioned my thing for eye makeup. This girl's is fabulous. But, what's better, is the synopsis for this novel. Two people who have no recollection of anything that occurred before they found themselves in some strange town, AND end up falling for each other sounds like my kind of read. Glimmer also fits in with my liking of zombies, as it's filled with "happy zombies." Yeah, funny, right? Although, I'm almost positive they don't mean the freaky, man-eating kind, but more like the brainwashed type. Still, sounds fun and exciting.

 


The thing that has me genuinely curious about Drought is the romance. How is this girl going to make a romance with one of the dreaded Overseers work? Ought to be interesting how they fall. And if she gets into the modern world as she dreams.

But, Witch Eyes is on MY must-have-now-pretty-please list. Deadly feuds between witches. A gorgeous young man falling in love with another gorgeous young man. Powers, magic, sacrifices. People, this book has it all! It sounds fabulous and I already have it pre-ordered. Alas, this one does not release until September, but I figured it was more than worth mentioning. I know you agree.

 


Those are some pretty blue eyes, and they lead to a very interesting summary. A girl finding that her first love may be more than what meets the eye. (Though I seriously doubt he's a vicious killer, but, hey? A story is needed.) This story sounds dangerous and crazy and mysterious, with an enigmatic male thrown in there somewhere. I can't wait to see what Seifert has cooked up for us readers in The Predicteds.

Now, as for Ten Things We Should (and Probably Shouldn't Have) it probably doesn't seem very appropriate in relation to the theme, but I figured the intensity of their gazes could count for something regarding eyes. Seriously, I couldn't help but put this one up considering how much I want to read this. I'm actually going to my library on Monday in search of it. Who wouldn't want to read about a crazy-filled, parentless time that includes hot boys, parties, and the withholding of a fugitive? 

But, more fitting to the theme would be (which you can read right now!):



Alas, we come to a close for this week's Covetable Covers post. Fare thee well, fellow book lovers! Feel free to smack me, good-naturedly, with your thoughts before you go!

3 comments:

Small Review said...

I like all these eye covers. The cover for Ashes freaks me out!

"Maybe it's the thrill of the chase. You know, never knowing when the protagonists are going to get caught and eaten. It's kind of addictive."

Totally agree!! Have you read Enclave by Ann Aguirre yet? Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith also had that feeling, but with added humor. :)

Unknown said...

Wow, these covers are truly awesome, particularly Deadly Cool! I have to have that, I don't care what it's about... XD

ComaCalm's Corner

Marathon said...

Small Review - Ashes looks freaking scary. But, I'm so intrigued.

I haven't read Enclave yet, but I want to so bad! I've heard excellent things about it, and I've seen you mention it, too. The main girl can kick a lot of ass I heard. And I've got a soft spot for tough girls.

ComaCalm - My initial sentiments exactly. It's like you stole the thoughts right out of my brain. I just know I NEED to have that on my shelf!