1 2 3 4

Review: Supernaturally by Kiersten White

WARNING: If you haven't read Paranormalcy, the first book in the series, then you probably shouldn't read this review.

Supernaturally
By Kiersten White

Get the Deets: Goodreads»»  
(What is Goodreads.com?)
Release Date: July 26, 2011

Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: bought/Own
Purchase: Book Depo. | Amazon | Kindle
About the Book:

Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be . . . kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees.

But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself.

So much for normal.

As it turns out I'm in lurv with Kiersten White, on the basis that she created one of the most hilarious, entertaining, and lovable novels, I'm pleased to say, residing in my bookcase where I look at it fondly just about hourly (and I swear it's not JUST because of the gorgeous cover, promise)! Those rumors that the in-between book in the series is supposed to be idle and somewhat dull--bologna! If you thought Paranormalcy was good, wait, WAIT 'til you get a load of the sequel.

My first thoughts when I began reading Supernaturally were, EVIE, EVIE, OHMAGOD, EVIE, I MISSED YOU, at which point I mentally tackled her with a bone-crushing hug. Looking back, I can't believe I ever stopped thinking about this series, how much I love it. Evie is one of the major reasons why I truly, madly, deeply love this series. She is like you, me, and everyone, yet she's just Evie. Does that make sense? No? What I mean to say is that she is like every teenager out there--agonizing over prom and school and college applications. At the same time, she isn't like every high school senior out there--being that she tases vamps, trolls, etc. for a living and she's currently dating an otherworldly, though very sexy, water elemental--in the most extraordinary way. I'm struck by two things when I read about Evie: familiarity and longing. Being Evie, with the exception of interaction with evil faeries, seems like a pretty good deal. And this is going to sound maybe a little odd, but I also find Evie to be refreshingly... girly. Ever notice that lately all the female leads seem to be kick-ass girls that take names later? In Evie readers get underlying kick-ass-ness, with an overlying layer of pink and sparkles and Easton Heights! Like I said, she's the perfect cross between relatable and special, something I think every teenage girl would like to be.

Something amazing--besides Lend--happened. The characters felt like more of an integral part to the story this time around. In short, they all grew on me. David, Raquel, and Ariana. Two of them adults I never thought I'd actually grow attached to. And Ariana cracked me up in Paranormalcy, but never did I feel so connected to her as I did in this book. My heart just broke for her when her past was unveiled. Reth, Evie's faerie ex, mostly creeped me out in book one, but I actually found myself missing him once I got pretty far in, and once he showed up, I cheered a little. (Although I don't see him as the other half of the love triangle equation for some reason. Maybe I'll feel differently come round three.)

Since this was such an emotionally driven plot, I admit, I expected to be a little bored. And, okay, I confess to skimming a bit here and there. But, I was actually a lot more absorbed than I anticipated. Because I love Evie so much, I care about her and her inner turmoil almost had me in tears I felt so bad. All the guilt and the pain, being letdown or feeling neglected--never once did I feel annoyed with Evie for feeling or acting on all of the negative emotions that came to play in this book. I hated that she felt so conflicted when it came to the state of her relationship with Lend. (For all you Lend and Evie fans, I don't mean conflicted as far as whether or not she loves him so you can relax on that score.) Evie seemed to be in need of a giant hug and I kept wanting to give her one, feeling sad for her. At the same time, though, this book was certainly not without its Evie-esque humor and flair. So, yes, there were multiple LOL and ROFL-moments, which my sides and stomach muscles remember quite clearly.

But, the ending, OH, THE ENDING. Or, those last few chapters. My God. It was scary, intense, and sort of satisfying to know that my suspicions were indeed warranted and completely correct regarding the Evil (though I suspect not completely) Villain. I felt smug even as I let out a ginormous AWW for that exceptional, beautiful, and oh so bloody PERFECT ending that had me doing The Meltdown. And I have a sneaking suspicion that Endlessly will take the cake as far as romance throughout the series. More importantly, I'm close to drowning in desire for the highly anticipated conclusion to this fantastic, remarkable series! (If you ever read this Kiersten: I LOVED YOUR ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS PAGE--chapter titles, too--and thanks for the kisses! ;D)
---------------------------------------------------

Jack fell to his knees on the bench, his eyes rolling back in ecstasy as he clutched both hands to his heart. "Oh, heavens above, to have seen such beauty with my own eyes! It's more than I ever hoped for. But how can I live now, knowing that you're not mine? Please." He crawled forward to the edge of the bench. "Marry me. Nay, marriage will cost us precious moments together. Let us make seweet, passionate love right here. Let me bear your children."
A primal growl signaled Miss Lynn getting over her shock at being thus addressed. She lunged forward; Jack deftly rolled off the bench, jumping up out of her reach.
"Goodness, I didn't expect you to be quite this enthusiastic about my advances. If I don't play hard to get, how will I ever know whether or not your respect me?" (80)

Any more and I'd give things away! :(

3 comments:

Small Review said...

Yay! I love Evie, too. She totally makes this series. I agree with you, I love how she's girly. I do really like the kick butt girls, but I like how Evie is kick but AND girly. It's nice.

Liz. R said...

Can't wait to read this one! Glad to hear it has the same awesome humour that Paranormalcy had! I'm really intrigued by this Jack person, he sounds hilarious. Thanks for the great review!

Marathon said...

Smalls- It's refreshing, isn't it? Like she doesn't seem to cool to be in love with the things girls like, i.e. sparkles, pink, shopping. *lol*

Liz- If you loved Paranormalcy, then I have no doubt that you will find the sequel just as lovable. :)