1 2 3 4

Review: Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead *no spoilers*

Last Sacrifice 
by Richelle Mead

Get the Deets: Goodreads»»  
(What is Goodreads.com?)
Release Date: December 7, 2010

Publisher: Penguin
Source: borrowed/Public Library
Purchase: Book Depo. | Amazon | Kindle
About the Book:

Look out for Bloodlines, Richelle Mead's new series set in the world of Vampire Academy, coming August 2011!

The astonishing final novel in Richelle Mead's epic series!

Murder. Love. Jealousy. And the ultimate sacrifice. Now, with Rose on trial for her life and Lissa first in line for the Royal Throne, nothing will ever be the same between them.

I don't know why it's taken me so long to finish this series--Oh, wait, I do. It was because of my opinion of Spirit Bound, or book five, that I was very reluctant to engage in the series once again. But, let me tell you, I'm so happy that I let go of that foolishness and finished it because Last Sacrifice is probably THE best installment in the series. Everything I've ever wanted in books--fighting, explosions, extraordinary and memorable characters--and everything I'd hoped would come true once the series was over erupted in this entrancing, action-packed, thrilling finale of one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE series!

Bear in mind that I'm going to, for once, try to keep this review as spoiler-free as possible considering that not everyone can read spoiler-ish reviews and the fact that I want other fans to be excited for this book. It's hard to have such a long-stretching series pan out successfully, and I've had my ups and downs as far as each book, but truthfully overall the series hasn't let me down. It's been one amazing thing after another (except book five) and such an EMOTIONAL ride. Last Sacrifice opens up the way I've come to expect from all books of the series--directly after the last and right in the thick of things. I was easily brought back up to speed and effortlessly thrust right into the story. It hadn't felt like I'd been away long from this series. And Rose, while she lost a few points with me in book five, swiftly resumed her post at the top of my Favorite MCs Ever.

Rose makes such a great heroine not necessarily because she's so tough and kick-ass, but because she's insightful and wise. I'd be drawn to those qualities in anyone, fictional or not. Last Sacrifice really exhibits Rose's development and incredible growth, more so than any ones that followed the first. And throughout the book, with her being so conflicted over so many things, pushed into situations that require her to make controversial choices, her struggle with what was right and wrong added a depth to this latest book that was a glimmer in the previous ones in comparison. And Dimitri! Oh, Dimitri, how I've missed him. If Rose is one of my FMCs, then Dimitri is on my Top Ten Amazing Men list. As a love interest and as an individual, Dimitri has blown me away. His romance with Rose--one of the most perfect I've read in the YA genre. In reading Last Sacrifice I fell so much more in love with his character.

Even though Rose, and Dimitri, has always been my main focus in all the books, I still appreciate the Lissa and Christian moments. Lissa's character growth soared to tremendous heights in this last book, to the point that I got to be a little teary-eyed, openly proud of her and how far she's come. Christian has always been a fun and lovable side character, his sarcasm and snark making him both funny and endearing. Seeing more of him, seeing his strength in spite of all the bad that takes place, especially and predominantly focused in the end, I grew to respect and love him way more than I had before. Adrian now has room to grow and I anticipate that he will be as amazing as Rose thinks he will be once he gets the chance. And Sydney! I can't believe how much I came to like her, which is wonderful for me considering I'm reading the spin-off series that stars her.

I know I said in my review for Spirit Bound that I didn't like the plot wrench in the story that Mead threw in there, but after reading book six I take it back. Majorly. I realized it wasn't a plot device placed in the books to drag the story on, but was instead a well-thought out, planned one that drove the story to new and intriguing heights! That twist on the end, wow! I didn't see that one coming! At. All. The direction Last Sacrifice went in was both unexpected and perfect. The ending even more so. This last installment concluded one of the most impeccable YA VAMPIRE series in existence! And I can only hope that you'll take my advice and finish the series. Non-fans, it is my duty to tell you to READ THIS SERIES ASAP!

----------------------------------------------

"That's only true if you let them make it true," I said desperately, still feeling the press of time. "Find one thing. One thing that's beautiful. Anything. Anything that shows you're not one of them."
His eyes were back on me, studying my face silently. Panic raced through me. It wasn't working. I couldn't do this... I didn't want him to leave in despair. I wanted him to leave here one step closer to being that man I knew he could be. I wanted him to have one less nightmare. 
It was beyond my abilities, though. I was no therapist. I was about to tell him we had to get out there , about to make his soldier reflexes kick in, when he suddenly spoke. His voice was barely a whisper. "You're hair."
"What?" For a second, I wondered if it was on fire or something. I touched a stray lock. No, nothing wrong except it was a mess...
"You're hair," repeated Dimitri. His eyes were wide, almost awestruck. "Your hair is beautiful." (255)

"What?" I asked uneasily. "Why are you looking at me like that?"
He shook his head, the smile rueful now. "Because sometimes, a person can get so caught up in the details that they miss the whole. It's not just the dress or the hair. It's you. You're beautiful. So beautiful, it hurts me." (404)

0 comments: