1 2 3 4

Review: The Vampire Stalker by Allison van Diepen

The Vampire Stalker 
by Allison van Diepen

Get the Deets: Goodreads»»  
(What is Goodreads.com?)
Release Date: June 1, 2011

Publisher: Point
Source: borrowed/Public Library
Purchase: Book Depo. | Amazon | Kindle
About the Book:

What if the characters in a vampire novel left their world--and came into yours? Amy is in love with someone who doesn't exist: Alexander Banks, the dashing hero in a popular series of vampire novels. Then one night, Amy meets a boy who bears an eerie resemblance to Alexander. In fact, he IS Alexander, who has escaped from the pages of the book and is in hot pursuit of a wicked vampire named Vigo. Together, Amy and Alexander set out to track Vigo and learn how and why Alexander crossed over. But when she and Alexander begin to fall for each other, Amy wonders if she even wants him to ever return to the realm of fiction.
The Vampire Stalker hadn't elicited any huge expectations for me when I first found out about it. I was intrigued by what I'd heard and read about it, but there wasn't this blinding need to read it. After taking the time to do so, I'd have to say that I enjoyed it and it will go on in my Guilty Pleasures Pile--something I liked, couldn't stop reading despite it's lack of an awesome or believable storyline, even though it's not something I should like given that its not the most unique vampire story to cross my path.

Unlike a lot of paranormal romances, particularly those that fall under the vampire category, I wouldn't be so quick to name this one instaluv. It could be construed that way, considering the rapidness the two MCs do fall for each other, but I lapped it up. And here's why: Unlike most instaluv romances, there was some basis to their mutual attraction and gradual, eventual shift in feelings. Amy has been reading about Alexander Banks in the popular, highly praised Otherworld series circulating (kind of reminding me of the Twilight hype that surged as the series went on), and has fallen in love with his character. Once he comes out into her world, she doesn't fall at his feet like the typical instaluv-warped heroine of other annoying PRs. No, instead she actually reasons with herself that she's fallen for his character in the book, whereas the actual person she knows nothing about. She's reluctant to feel anything for Alexander as he's danger-luring, vengeful vampire hunter who may resemble the character in the books on the outside and even some on the inside, but is virtually a stranger to her. Finally, a girl with some sense!

But, then, how long can a sensible girl hold out on a gorgeous, slightly vulnerable, and totally bad-ass vampire hunter, I ask you? I couldn't blame Amy for ending up succumbing to the inevitable. Hell, if she didn't grab him up, I was going to reach into the book and take him for myself. After all, that's what this book is all about, right? Falling in love with book-characters come to life... Anyway, I liked Amy. She didn't annoy me, in fact I found her to be endearing and relatable. An aspiring teen writer with a book fetish who fangirls over MCs in major books! Ringing any bells here? Alexander I liked as well, and did feel like I got to know him some, but I didn't feel entirely connected to him like I did with Amy. The side characters were fun and reminiscent of people in my own life, however not as accessible as Amy herself.

The plot I enjoyed, though it wasn't something I could sink my teeth into--haha--or completely believe. It was paced pretty well, though, and fit the overall story. It made sense with the associated story elements and kept me reading, rather than putting me off. Since it's one of my guilty pleasures, I can't be irritated with what it was missing, because I irrevocably liked it without having to pick it apart in search of its flaws. I passed over any problems I might've had, and other, more critical readers will surely have, and just reveled in the story.

The only complaint that I can't overlook was not getting to know the villain well enough. He had the potential to be so amazing and super intimidating, but even though he was the main antagonist I still felt like I only got glimpses of him and what he was really like, the majority of my knowledge coming from what the other characters knew or learned. Therefore, he didn't turn out to be a very chilling villain.

And while the pre-ending started heading toward the predictable, it veered off into something slightly less anticipated, which was nice.

The Vampire Stalker is a decent, enjoyable read that involves a good blend of the paranormal and the sciency, with a delectable romance that concluded the book in a foreseen, though still lovely closing. And, again, unlike most books, this book is perfect as a standalone and seems to be just that. I was entertained, and was left content, with a smile on my face. If you're tired of vampires, I wouldn't recommend this one for you, seeing as you might not like it at the moment. But, if you're interested in a cute, paranormal adventure and a vampire-hunter-regular-girl romance then you'll want to pick this one up.

---------------------------------------------------

"Mutual admiration?" Chrissy sneered. "What does that mean?"
"It means we have a lot in common," I said quickly.
"Oh, I get it. He's a big book nerd who doesn't have a life, too? Does he know you've never had a boyfriend?" Thanks, Chrissy. He already thought I was odd for calling myself Mrs. AlexanderBanks online. He didn't need to know that I'd never had a boyfriend.
"Your sister is brilliant and beautiful," Alexander snapped... (114)

"Did you kick their butts?"
He frowned. "The buttocks are among the least sensitive places to hit someone."
I laughed. "It's a figure of speech."
"To kick butts. Interesting." (172)

4 comments:

Francesca said...

Great review, I really want to read this book but I am never quite sure, it is kinda the dream right? You fave PNR hero coming to live, but wondered if it would be a little meh, thanks for your review, you have pushed me over the edge I am going to get it!

Suzanne @ Under the Covers

Marathon said...

Thank you, I'm glad you found it helpful!

The Vampire Stalker isn't the most unique read but it's definitely entertaining ;) Hope you enjoy it!

Helena said...

Thanks for the review! I've looked at this one for a while and it seems good! :)

Marathon said...

You're welcome! It's a decent read and undeniably cute and romantic.