1 2 3 4

Hand Over That Book, Please!! I

You've probably noticed that my reviews are coming in fewer and far between. And that's mostly because the YA books I've been picking up haven't been doing anything for me lately. I want something spectacular, something incredible! I'm tired of the three down to two-star books that come my way.

That got me brainstorming. What do I like, look for in a book? What are the things that make me go crazy? Have me going into a frenzy in search of That Perfect Book? And here's what I've come up with:

Genre:

Paranormal Romance

Paranormal Romance is what introduced me to YA books and made me fall in love with the genre. My mother could tell you--I hated reading. It was uncool, totally lame, and most of all BORING. I couldn't grasp the magic of it, understand why my mom and little sister were so ridiculously entrenched in books. (Now look at me. Looks like the joke's on me.)

 

My mom had been slowly getting me to read, picking books out here and there that my romantic soul could not ignore. But it was L.J. Smith's Nightworld series that really set the ball rolling. 

Vampires and shape-shifters and witches, oh my! 

One moment I detested reading and the next my nose was firmly glued to these books. I couldn't put them down, devouring them at incredible speeds that had people around me blinking incredulously. I was never an avid reader, until then.  

Secret Vampire had one my most favorite types of romance--the Best Friend Turned Something More. Turned soulmates to be exact. And from then on, I was hooked. I gobbled this series up and went on the hunt for other L.J. Smith books to sate my hunger for this stuff.


Then along came the Dark Visions trilogy and the Secret Circle series (one of my all time favorites!) and the rest was history...

The sad thing is that now, I'm having trouble not to puke. 

THE INSTALUV TOTALLY KILLS IT.


These are the first, would-have-been-great stories that came to mind. If these books hadn't been so focused on the romances that did nothing for me, they would've been wonderful. But, its books like these that leave me frustrated with this sub-genre. What started out as one of my favorite sub-genres has now become something to be wary of. I find myself being extra careful when I pick out related books now.

But, wait, you still have us! 

 

These books I cuddle close, they're so amazing. Romance and all, for the most part. These books are the ones that give me hope for PRs, because they're so incredible. I want to find more like them! (Recommendations are totally welcome!)

Historical Fiction/Romance

 

Believe it or not, I don't come across that many HFs. And I ADORE them. There's almost nothing like being whisked away to another time period, falling in love with a hunk that's been long dead in your time, and learning about the time period. 

It rarely matters where we're going, so long as its some place in some time that's captivating. Time traveling is an added bonus, because that makes it even more interesting (and throwing in a battle or two couldn't hurt--you know, with the swords and armor and all). I want more well-written, exciting Historical Fictions (especially with my River of Time series coming to dreaded, though highly anticipated closing)!!

High Fantasy


This is a horrible thing to admit, but I've never read The Lord of the Rings (except The Hobbit) or *cringes* the Harry Potter series. *ducks* I know you're like WHAAAA?!! And believe me I can't quite understand it myself since I loooove this kind of stuff, you know medeval questing, sorcery, evil flaming eyes. Now, Narnia's where I draw the line. I COULD NOT get into those books, no matter how hard I tried. But I'm determined to read the Harry Potter series, especially since *sniffles* the movies are over, Rae Carson's The Girl of Fire and Thorns, and Cinda Williams Chima's The Seven Realms series.

Urban Fantasy



Give me a cool and unique boarding school, or supernatural hunters, etc. in whatever city/town where the fate of the world rests with these teens and a kick-ass plot, then I'm sold. And if there's a Tucker (Unearthly) or a Stark (House of Night) somewhere, I'm so there.

Romantic Comedy/Realistic Fiction

RCs are one of my favorite sub-genres to read about. But lately it's been ridiculously difficult to track down many good ones.

 

Any suggestions?

Dystopian

I go absolutely gaga for dystopian thrillers. I love the dark, gritty worlds they're usually set in and the characters that are, for the most part, epic (including the hot guys that also seem to be part of the trend). I wish more of these would find their way into my lap.

 

I intend to read Enclave by Ann Aguirre soon, to satisfy my craving for this category. But I need more!


Look out for next week's Fictional Settings that make me want to read a book in Hand Over That Book, Please!! II What are YOUR favorite genres to read?

12 comments:

Liz. R said...

First thing I have to say to you: Read. Harry. Potter. Now. Second, great post! I agree with you on so many things - insta-love! Ah, it really does kill. A book has so much potential, but the insta-love ruins it. And I love dystopian too! Divergent and Delirium are both awesome (and I have Enclave on my wishlist too). Thanks for sharing :).

Marathon said...

Liz--I know, I really, really have to. How can I be a YA reader and NOT have read HP?

Down with instaluv! -_-

I looooved Divergent especially.

Small Review said...

Oh my gosh, this was like reading a post from a book soulmate until I got to the part where you said you haven't read Harry Potter! Gah, what are you doing?! Go read it now :)

I am so with you on L.J. Smith's Nightworld and Secret Circle! Ugh, and insta love is totally killing me.

Hm...have you read Meg Cabot's Mediator series? Or Lee Nichols' Haunting Emma series? I think you'd like both of those.

Marathon said...

Smalls- I knew that wouldn't go unnoticed for long *lol* I read the first two when they first came out, but back then I didn't like reading very much and I gave up on the series. I KNOW I'll love them now, so I'm going to read the series as soon as I can get my hands on a copy of the first one.

Weren't they just amazing? I hope the new TV series for Secret Circle is as good as The Vampire Diaries TV show. And what the heck is with all the instaluv crap?!! Ugh. -__-

I've heard soooo many good things about the Haunting Emma series, so I think I'm going to try it. I haven't read many of Meg Cabot's books but I'm willing to try 'em, so I'll start there, thanks!

Small Review said...

Haha, I'm happy to hear you have a Harry Potter Plan :) I thought the books got better as they went along. It's so weird to think of you as "not a reader" :P

I can't wait for The Secret Circle tv show! I know they totally changed VD and they'll probably do the same for TSC (none of those actors look right to me), but I adore the changes they made to VD so I have faith.

I know, right, who wants instalove?? Please stop!! I want some slow burns. The romance in The Mediator series is a wonderful slow burn. I've read some of the books in Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries series and I read Avalon High, but The Mediator is far and away my favorite of hers.

Marathon said...

*lol* I know, right? I can't imagine it myself. I'm hoping to get to HP super soon.

I didn't like the VD books, but the show is my crack. If Secret Circle is anything like it, I'll be obsessed. I know what you mean about the cast. I don't like Adam! I can't believe how much they changed him. I could get into Cassie, depending if she does the character justice. I like Diana and Faye. The one I feel looks the most like him is the Nick they cast.

If every romance could be like Marcello & Gabby, Lia & Luca I'd die happy. I wonder how the romance is supposed to play out in The Mediator series--isn't he a ghost? I'm looking forward to trying it.

Small Review said...

I didn't love the VD books either. They were ok. Love the show though! I can't wait for it to come back. Did you see the last few episodes of last season? Gah! I can't believe all the things that happened!

Oh gosh no, I don't like the guy they cast for Adam either. He looks NOTHING like how I pictured him. I think I'll be ok with Cassie, too. Faye, hm, she's different than how I pictured her (she's a little too pixie) but I think she has enough edge to make it work. Diana seems to have the right sweetness, but she's a brunette! My Diana is a blond and looks like she does on the old covers that I read waaaay back when http://www.ljanesmith.net/www/images/stories/books/Book_TheSecretCircle_Vol1A.jpg

Yup, the Mediator romance is with a ghost. She makes it work :) It's not a RoT romance, but it's sweet, hm...and Jesse is a man from an older time.

Marathon said...

The show is like... I can't even describe it's awesomeness adequately. And that last episode-- those last few made me bawl.

I was so ticked when I saw their version. And from what I saw in the previews, I was not happy with him. Faye is believable, she looks like she can be badass from what I've seen. YES! I know Diana, she was supposed to be blond, but she has that Diana Look. So hopefully we'll both be able to get passed the change up.

I love gentleMANLY men from way back when. i can't wait to see what this Jesse's like.

Kate Maxwell said...

Once again...your site makes me wish I had so many extra hours in a day to read!

As for RomCom...here are a few authors to look up: Victoria Connelly, Jen Lancaster, Katie MacAlister, Sophie Kinsella (though I haven't read her 'Shopaholic' series, her other books are fun!)... that should be a good start!

As for genres, love Historical Fiction, Contemporary, Suspense (in small doses)and Mysteries...starting to get into steam punk and enjoy it and love a good YA read now and then.

Marathon said...

Isn't the whole concept behind Steampunk so, so cool? It only gets more attractive as I continue reading within the genre. And thanks for the suggestions, Kate!

Nea said...

Haha I totally love this post!! :D And the funny thing? I haven't read Harry Potter either :P

Marathon said...

YAY. I'm not the only one :P