1 2 3 4

Review: Out for Blood by Alyxandra Harvey *no spoilers*

Out for Blood
by Alyxandra Harvey

Add it to Goodreads?
Release Date: December 21, 2010
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Age Group: Young Adult
Source: Library Check-Out
Rating: Sud-Kissed
Related Review(s): Hearts at Stake,
Blood Feud
About the Book:
(highlight to read)

Hunter Wild is the youngest in a long line of elite vampire hunters, a legacy that is both a blessing and a curse at the secret Helios-Ra Academy, where she excels at just about everything. Thanks to her friendship with Kieran Black, Hunter receives a special invitation to attend the coronation of Helena Drake, and for the first time, she sees the difference between vampires that must be hunted and vampires that can become friends-or even more.

When students at the academy fall victim to a mysterious illness, Hunter suspects they are under attack from within. She will need someone she can trust to help her save the future of Helios-Ra... help that shockingly comes in the form of Quinn Drake, a drop-dead gorgeous vampire. Who said senior year would be easy?
Shakespeare said, "What's in a name?" Well, my name's Hunter Wild, so I say: a lot...

So, yesterday I reviewed Blood Feud, and I think so far it's my favorite in this ongoing series. Though, I really liked Quinn's story in Out for Blood. There's always an irresistible appeal to a character who is a well-known player and ends up taking the Big Fall. Exploring Quinn Drake's reactions to his sudden growing feelings for vampire hunter Hunter Wild was the most adorable experience and probably the aspect I loved the most about the book. I'm telling you, there's just something about the Drake brothers that's way more fun to read about than when it was all girls in Hearts at Stake. And because this is a companion novel, of course you see the previous few couples from the first two books making a very wanted appearance in this third installment.

Issues are cropping up more and more as the series progresses, things are starting to get more dangerous, and that makes these books all the more delectable to read and ultimately addictive. Besides the fact that the characters are lovable and dynamic and the writing is vivid yet simple. Harvey always manages to impress me with her writing style. If you'll notice, in each progressing book, Harvey focuses on a sub-world of the vampire culture in her book. Book one we mostly deal with the vampire courts, regular vamps, and the overlying problem that stretches to all of the books. Book two deals with the Cwn Mamau or the Hounds. And now, with Out for Blood Harvey provides her readers with a deep look into the world of the Helios-Ra, or the vampire hunters, which keeps me engaged in the series. I know I'm going to learn something totally new about Harvey's vampire world in every book.

In the first two books, Quinn Drake is one of the brothers in the background. And now that he's a main character, I got greater insight into who he is and let me just say, Yummm. Seriously. What makes his romance with Hunter so fantastic is that she's not one of those girls willing to fall in line with Quinn's groupies. She's tough, she can take care of herself, but she's also aware that she's not invincible. She knows when to ask for help, she knows she can be vulnerable. And accepts those things. Although she falls for Quinn pretty quickly, she'll be damned before she lays out all her cards on the table for a guy like him. So their relationship development is funny and heartwarming and cute. And at times, deliciously steamy. Man, Harvey got really good with her smoochy scenes. I devoured those smoochy scenes and felt myself blushing several times. I love this couple!

What I also love is as the Drake Chronicles go on, each brother is different. And that's apparent in their differing POVs. I keep expecting Harvey to slip-up and have them sounding like the same person. But it never happens. It's evident that Harvey spent a lot of time with these characters and knows them well. In turn, that helps me get to know them and create connections that are so lacking in other PR books. And as I kept on with the series, there's that awesome, fundamental familiarity toward these characters. They almost start to feel a little like you're own family. I think that's one of the pieces of the whole that makes this series so enjoyable.

I know it seems like vampire books are lacking in originality but Harvey elegantly spins a great twist on her own vampires, so that the lore is both familiar and fresh. If you're looking for an entertaining, hooking vampire series, the Drake Chronicles are your go-to books. Bleeding Hearts, you better get here quickly, because I'm dying to continue!

Those delightful moments during your bubble bath, with a book companion in one hand and a glass of chocolate milk in the other, are the best way to describe the luxurious feelings that Sud-Kissed books create. These books can sometimes be even more rereadable than Special Shelf books... (My Rating System In-Depth)

...I'D NEVER MET ANYONE WHO ENJOYED A SKIRMISH QUITE SO MUCH. EVEN GRANDPA SAW IT AS DUTY BEFORE PLEASURE. WITH QUINN, IT WAS ALMOST LIKE HE WAS FLIRTING WITH ME.
I COULDN'T BE SURE IF HE WAS GOING TO LEAN IN TO TEAR OUT MY JUGULAR OR KISS ME SENSELESS.
INSTEAD, HE KICKED OUT AND TRIPPED ME, BUT WHEN I FELL BACKWARD HIS HAND WAS AT MY BACK TO CATCH ME. MY LEFT ARM CROSSED BETWEEN US, FIST PRESSED OVER HIS HEART TO PROVE MY POINT. I MIGHT HAVE STAKED HIM IN THAT MOMENT, IF THE SITUATION WERE DIFFERENT.
BUT I MIGHT NOT BE ALIVE TO DO IT.
HIS FANGS RESTED TENDERLY ON THE INSIDE OF MY THROAT. THE LENGTH OF OUR BODIES PRESSED CLOSE TOGETHER. I FELT THE COOLNESS OF HIS SKIN AND WONDERED IF THE HEAT OF MINE FELT LIKE A BURN TO HIM. IT WAS THE FIRST TIME I COULD ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND THE SEDUCTION AND THE ALLURE OF BARING YOUR THROAT TO A PREDATOR. IT HAD ALWAYS SEEMED LIKE MADNESS TO ME, OR THE RESULT OF READING TOO MANY NOVELS. IT STILL DID. BUT THERE WAS THE BAREST SWAY OF MY BODY TOWARD HIM...
CHLOE WAS THE FIRST TO BREAK THE SILENCE. SHE LET OUT A SHAY BREATH.
"IS IT SUDDENLY HOT OUT HERE, OR WHAT?"  (101)

"YOU TASTE LIKE... RASPBERRIES."
I SWALLOWED. "NO, I DON'T."
"YOU DO." HE WAS STARING AT MY MOUTH NOW. I CLAMPED MY LIPS TOGETHER. THE TINY CUT ON MY TONGUE THROBBED. IT FELT LIKE A BEACON, ONLY IT WAS CALLING THE SHIP TOWARD THE ROCKY SHORELINE INSTEAD OF SAFELY AWAY. I RAN MY TONGUE OVER MY TEETH, TRYING TO GET RID OF THE BLOOD.
"I CAN GET THAT FOR YOU," HE PURRED.
I JERKED BACK BUT I WAS STILL TRAPPED IN THE CAGE OF HIS ARMS. I NARROWED MY EYES. "QUINN DRAKE, STOP IT RIGHT NOW." 
"BUT I DON'T WANT TO," HE DRAWLED. "I WANT MORE."
"I DON'T WANT TO DUST YOU."
"I JUST WANT A LITTLE TASTE."
"YOU'VE HAD ONE," I POINTED OUT.
"NOT NEARLY ENOUGH. I'M GREEDY FOR YOU." (209) OH MY GOD. NO MATTER HOW CRAZY THIS SCENES WAS... WOW. *FANS SELF*

0 comments: