1 2 3 4

Days of Twenty Eleven: Day 1


Hosted by: Nomes at Inkcrush 

So, today I had a different post in my mind, but I decided to switch it. Missie over at The Unread Reader happened to throw up her list of 2011 Faves, and I checked out the categories and thought, Hey, this is perfect! So here I am, with favorites of my own to share. =)

Favorite Book(s) Read in 2011:

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Um, Vampire Academy, anyone?

A spin-off in every sense of the word, Bloodlines's main character, Sydney, WORKED it. Did you get enough of Adrian Ivashkov in Vampire Academy? Because I certainly didn't, and Mead does NOT disappoint.

A higher level of FORBIDDEN romance, alchemy, dark secrets and ugly ties, and lovable characters new and old make up this frigging amazing start to the series!


These books slide beautifully into the heart. They're quirks and kisses and hot boys and crazy girls, and I felt Perkins words, which are the purest magic.

I LOVE these books a million red bloated hearts.



What's there not to love?

Hot, funny men. WEAPONS AND MASS BATTLING. Spies. Torture. AWESOMESAUCE females who don't have a problem knockin' a few teeth loose, yo. You do NOT want to mess with the She-Wolves of Siena, bro, or else.


Hourglass by Myra McEntire

I had no idea WHAT to expect with this one. There's such a tasty love triangle in this one too. Michael, Kaleb, Michael, Kaleb... YUUUUUMMMMMMMMM.





The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

I couldn't not mention the Iron Fey series! Edward Cullen sparkling in the sun would be the only permissible distraction strong enough to make me forget about TIQ.

The Iron Queen wowed me more than the rest. There were so many wonderful changes! A tougher, cooler Meghan paired with a sweeter, more romantic, though still hardcore Ash. By far my favorite in the series!

Most Powerful Book:

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

This book makes you think even as it makes you swoon. I think my review says it all and more.







Brilliantly Funny:

Paranormalcy/Supernaturally by Kiersten White

I fell in love with Evie. Her voice is knee-slapping hilarious, vulnerable, and open. Then Lend came into the picture and that was that.

Plus, these books have some of the best chapter titles.


Best ache-y, Heart-breaking, Tear-jerker Read:

If I Stay/Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

I so trustingly left my heart unguarded and these books turned it over in my chest, shook it up like a whip cream can, then yanked it out with less finesse than a surgeon and proceeded to rip into it into tiny little pieces before stuffing it back in my chest.

Over and out.

Delicious Rainy Day Comfort Read:

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

When it's raining and I'm trapped in my house, I like to imagine that I'm somewhere else, somewhere far away and interesting. Ruby Red takes me all over time, to different countries, and with characters whom I adore! A rainy day really couldn't be more delectable than that.




Adrenalin-fueled, Unputdownable Award:

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Pfft. This was a no-brainer. Teenagers jump off effing FAST-MOVING TRAINS, people. Not to mention roofs and climbing up high... things. You just can't get any more adrenaline-spiking than that.





Best, Most Beautiful Prose:

The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

A dreamy and poetic tale that reads like a bedtime story. Fantastical imagery that is as appealing and immersive as the characters.






That I-So-Wanna-Go-There-Now Setting

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

If I'm searching for leisure and indulgence I'd get on my private jet to sweet, sweet Paris. Where hot American boys of French descent with English accents seem to be nesting. And the food is sumptuous and rich, the sights are pretty and twinkling, and the night feels like a dream.


Most Original and Imaginative

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Unsettling worlds, WONDERFUL characters who matter, and riveting love stories happening amidst chaotic times and adventures.




A Hidden Gem

Princess for Hire by Lindsey Leavitt

The pink and the makeup, an OH, the princessing is oh so addictive. This series makes you start to wish you were donning a tiara, and NOT just on your birthday when everyone pretends you're a glamorous princess.





Unexpectedly In Love With

The Body Finder series by Kimberly Derting
Darkest Powers trilogy by Kelley Armstrong

I'd been hearing about how great these books were since before I started blogging. Now, I've discovered these awesome authors and they're equally awesome, lovable characters and I can't. Get. Enough. Simply, utterly wowed by these authors.



Most Haunting Story

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

I read this book close to a week ago and I cannot, for the life of me, remove that painful final quarter of the book out of my head. Then I proceed to think about Charlotte and Henry. Then, Will. Oh, Will...

This book is agony contained and covered by a gorgeous face. Do not be fooled.


Outside My Comfort Zone, But Gosh I Adored It

Wildthorn by Jane Eagland

I don't normally read female romance GBLT books, I go for the male romance ones, so that was different. But this story was so engrossing, I could not stand to put it down until the mystery was solved and I knew the resolution was satisfactory!




Series I'm Loving Right Now

The Morganville Vampires

This series was actually strongly recommended to me by Jen at Makeshift Bookmark and I admit, I was a bit skeptical. I LOVE VAMPIRES. Especially vampire series. But could series last as long as Morganville has and still be amazing? Know what I found out?

The answer is a RESOUNDING YES. I love you, SHANE, Claire, Eve, Michael, and MYRNIN. I'm stupid in love with this series.

Fave Series Right Now

The Drake Chronicles by Alyxandra Harvey

Gosh, how do I describe the sheer frigging awesomeness of this series. The world-building is fresh and real, the vampires are swarming and deadly and fascinating, and the characters... I'm a TOTAL fangirl when it comes to these characters. I'm going to stop right here before I gush for an entire page (x1000) and bore you all to death.


Books I Want to Reread Already

Bleeding Hearts by Alyxandra Harvey
I love all the Drake bros and their girlfriends are just as deeply settled in my heart. Now more than ever.

Carpe Corpus by Rachel Caine
I just love that Shane and Claire have made such progress in their relationship. And I don't just mean in the physical sense, you perverts! But the Shane and Claireness in this one was just so damn cute.

The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong
Everything I wanted to happen did. 'Nuff said.

Book That's Got Me Tangling the Sheets Pining for the Sequel

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

The wait for Hallowed has been sucking the life out of me. The yearning won't cease until the sequel is in my hands. I can't be responsible for what I'll do if that doesn't happen.





What 2011 reads left a memorable impression on you? What are your favorites of this year?

9 comments:

Sarah (Escaping Through Books) said...

Awesome list! We have very similar tastes in books. Paranormalcy and Supernaturally were two of my favorites this year because Evie has got to be the cutest narrator ever and I love Lend. I also read and loved Lola and the Boy Next Door, Hourglass, Shatter Me, The Iron Queen, and Unearthly this year.

I have Bloodlines but am scared to read it because the Vampire Academy series is my all-time favorite YA series and I'm afraid I'll be disappointed. I also have Waterfall, Divergent, Ruby, and The Near Witch on my shelves waiting to be read, so I'm glad to hear that you think they are great!

I also need to take the plunge and finally start The Morganville Vampires series. I have the first three bindups (the first six books) and one or two on my Kindle. A friend once told me she thought they were good, but kind of boring at times, so I think that's why I haven't tackled them yet. But I'm impressed by how quickly you are making your way through the series on Goodreads, so I think I'll have to start it soon!

(Longest comment ever, sorry!)

tthepageturner said...

I agree that Shatter Me is a powerful book! <3 I loved Touch of Power, def original and imaginative. Ahh, The Darkest Powers series is awesome too! YES! The MV series is AH-MAZ-ING! You my friend have good taste! ;)

Jenny said...

Love this list Asher! I adored Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door, Stephanie Perkins is an auto buy author for me! And how much fun would it be to go to Paris? Divergent was a favorite of mine too, I need Insurgent like I need air to breathe:)

Kate Maxwell said...

What a neat way to do your Best of 2011 List! I don't know if I could fill all of those categories, but loved how you put it together... and added to my TBR pile...again!

Liz. R said...

I've already read The Reckoning like three times! Loved it so much :P. Clockwork Prince was definitely haunting (Will! <3) and Bloodlines and Waterfall are still on my tbr! Can't wait to read Hallowed either - fab list! :)

Nea said...

haha Asher you're so awesome! I love your pick! And God knows I want to go to Paris as well! And I totally feel the same way about Unearthy! And Clockwork Prince was INCREDIBLE!!

Natalia Belikov said...

HOly cow! so many awesome books!! I really want to read Waterfall sniff! I heard pure awesomeness about that trilogy! and this week I got Twenty Boy SUmmer! woohoo! Im reading it soon with a box of kleenes beside me just in case lol!
Great selection my dear!! =D

Happy Holidays!
Dazzling Reads

Miss Anderson said...

I put Divergent and Anna and the French Kiss in the exact same categories! I mean, who wouldn't want to go to boarding school in Paris?

Love the list, even picked up a few reading suggestions (haven't yet read Unearthly, for example...seeing that one everywhere lately!) Here's my list: http://busyteacher.wordpress.com/2011/12/19/faves-of-twentyeleven-the-books/

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

There are only a few of these I haven't read. Awesome choices!!

Gah, Clockwork Prince. I still get all verklempt thinking about it.